Girl’s Track team strives for personal strengths, gains more participation

Abigail (Oli) Grenke, Journalist

The Girl’s Track team began practice on Tuesday, Mar. 14. Although it is early in the season, the group already has some big goals and plans for the spring.

The team meets in Track Coach Mr. Ron Woodruff’s room, number 508, every day after school from 2:50 to 4:00, but sometimes they will keep practicing hard until 4:30. The last day to sign up is Mar. 24.

“Our goal is to get as many girls involved doing something positive and something healthy,” said Woodruff. “Even if you’re not the top runner, you’re always looking to improve yourself.”

Last year, the girls track team sent five girls to compete at the state level. This year, three of those girls are returning to the team.

“Our goal is always to be in the top of the conference,” said Woodruff. “[But] on an individual level, we always tell the girls to make your personal best.”

The team has greatly grown in size over the past few years. Three years ago, the team only had twelve runners participating, but this season, the team saw 42 sign-ups.

“It’s a unique year because every year we start over with a new group,” said track coach Mr. Bill Bippes. “We have phenomenal young ladies on this team. We’re excited to see what they can do and I’m really excited about where we’re headed.”

This season, the coaches are focusing on more than just breaking records and winning matches. They hope to help the girls become the very best runners they can be, and to meet and beat their own personal goals and records.

“At the end of every year, we can look at everybody and say, ‘we reached our potential, we gave our best, we achieved 100% of what we were capable of,’” said Bippes.

For more information about joining the team, contact Woodruff or Bippes. Runners need a physical on file at the high school athletic office in order to try-out or participate.