Choir uses hair color idea to raise over $1,000 to support family

Choir+accompanist+Mr.+Chris+Markiewicz+and+sophomore+Erin+Camburn+poses+for+the+camera+at+a+spaghetti+dinner+fundraiser+created+for+Gary+Camburn.+++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Choir accompanist Mr. Chris Markiewicz and sophomore Erin Camburn poses for the camera at a spaghetti dinner fundraiser created for Gary Camburn.

Jordan Thomas

Jordan Thomas

Jordan Thomas

Jordan Thomas, Web Journalist

In the early fall of 2018, Gary Camburn was diagnosed with a rare form of blood cancer called Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia and because of this condition it leaves Gary unable to work for a long period of time. The family remains positive, but medical bills have accumulated and supplying for the needs of a family of four are getting difficult.

The Northwest community has been a big support system to the Camburns. Many people provide various funding and donations that help. Both senior Megan and sophomore Erin Camburn are apart of the Northwest music program, and because both girls are a part of the choir program, Choir accompanist Mr.Chris Markiewicz had the idea to dye his hair as a fundraiser. He would have a different color every day for every 100 dollars donated.

“I thought this would be a great way to help a family in need, while also having fun with the kids by dyeing my hair wacky colors. I thought we would just see what happens,” said Markiewicz

Choir members, people from all around the community, and even people outside of the community, shared the idea on Facebook with friends. It grew. 

So on December 7, Markiewicz made a pledge to commit to the fundraiser and dye his hair various colors. When the goal of the first 100 dollars was met students celebrated with Markiewicz and his hot pink head.

Since then Markiewicz, an avid UM fan, added to his morning routine of dying his hair by agreeing to sing the MSU fight song if enough money was raised. The community excepted his challenge and during a special dinner held for the Camburn family, Markiewicz kept his word and sang beautifully. 

“I never imagined the amount of people who would support  this fundraiser,” said Markiewicz.

This fundraiser raised just over 1,000 dollars to help support Gary’s fight against Leukemia. The family has impacted the community in positive ways, and the experience has left everyone knowing that no one fights alone.