The student news site of Northwest High School in Jackson, Michigan

The Moxie Mountie

The Moxie Mountie

The Moxie Mountie

Rain Garden Concept

A rain garden is a shallow depression filled with native flowers, grass, and shrubs that thrive in wet conditions. 

Rain gardens are designed to collect run-off rainwater from downspouts and sidewalks. They allow the water to seep slowly into the ground and filter it naturally. 

Northwest High School is adding a new band building on the south field where downspouts drain. 

When it rains, the field is flooded for a few days before the grass soaks in the water. This is important because the soil loses its nutrients, so the grass dies.

Adding a rain garden will attract attention to Northwest High School and the surrounding community. 

The plants will most likely be cardinal flowers, coneflowers, butterfly weed, and many more vibrant colored flowers.

Biology Teacher, Ian Fulton, said he would like this idea added to our school.

Fulton believes it will be difficult to start up, but also be sustainable and eye-catching.

“When I went to Eastern Michigan College to study, they had a rain garden for their run-off water,” said Fulton. “I think it’s a wonderful addition to our school.”

The planning and installation of a rain garden will be a valuable experience for students and staff. 

A rain garden is beneficial all year round, offering something a little different to the ecosystem each season.

Mr. Fulton’s award-winning smile!

This project will be a volunteer opportunity for students to participate in to get their hands dirty and create something beautiful and bright.

Michigan State University Extension (MSUE) believes that rain gardens, due to the time they drain, moisture-based plants are not recommended for all rain gardens. 

Due to this, MSU suggests planting drought-tolerant plants on the walls of the rain garden and moisture-absorbing plants deep inside of the garden.

According to MSU, rain gardens are designed to drain within 24 to 48 hours, therefore, moisture-loving native plants may not be ideal for all rain gardens. 

“In the deepest part of your rain garden, choose plants that have average to moist water requirements. The outside and edges should be planted with species that thrive in average or dry conditions,”  said MSUE.  “If there are native plants already in your yard that are adapted to both wet and dry conditions, save money and transplant them.”

With benefits for students who need to relax, science pursuers, and students who just want to stare at the garden, a rain garden shows promise for the Northwest High School grounds.

About the Contributor
Lilyann Lee
Lilyann Lee, Journalist