The student news site of Northwest High School in Jackson, Michigan

The Moxie Mountie

The Moxie Mountie

The Moxie Mountie

There’s myrrh where that came from

According to Britannica, Constantine was the first Christian emperor of Rome and the man who officially instituted Christmas into the Roman church. 

According to Classical Historian. Christmas was recognized as an official holiday in America on June 26, 1870. Originally, early Americans who fled England, such as the Puritans, shunned Christmas.

As stated by Freedom Forum, the Puritans who escaped England believed Christmas to be a “Sinful manmade holiday” since it was closely associated with Catholicism.

Although Christmas is mainly known as a Christian holiday, it takes a lot of its traditions from a Paegen holiday called Yule.

(Joseph Tobey-Cook)

Devin Green, an 8th grader at Northwest Kidder Middle School, has recently been looking into some of her cultural roots and despite backlash from her parents, she has decided this year she will try and celebrate Yule.

“I come from a Christian household, so it is hard to be able to celebrate, let alone look into my culture,” said Green.

As mentioned by Canton Public Library, Yule is a Norse and Scandinavian holiday that celebrates the rebirth of the sun. The Pagans do this through a 12-day feast where they exchange gifts and enjoy spending time with each other. On top of these celebrations, they see this holiday as a symbol of new beginnings and a chance for resolution.

“Yule is important to me because it allows me to further understand my culture and my history,” said Green. Per Green, one of the dishes she will be making is called a Yule Log or, traditionally, Bûche de noël. 

According to St Tammy’s Perish Library, originally, the Yule log was not a cake but a religious ceremony where people would burn the Yule log to signify the birth of Jesus or Jesus defeating sin, depending on who is asked. Nowadays, the Yule log more resembles a Swiss role and is more of a fun treat than a ceremonial alter. 

Despite Christmas’s rather questionable past, it still promotes something fundamental to the American people.