The student news site of Northwest High School in Jackson, Michigan

The Moxie Mountie

The Moxie Mountie

The Moxie Mountie

Tools Of The Trade – Wilderness Survival

Tools Of The Trade - Wilderness Survival

Imagine being lost in the woods. Immediate rescue is not available. Prior knowledge of survival skills would be beneficial. A Wilderness Survival course would solve that problem.

Wilderness survival can be broken down into three basic units: Land Navigation, Survival, and Protection. 

Land Navigation, or finding one’s way through the woods, is a fitting first unit. The scariest fate for abandoned hikers and travelers is being endlessly lost. If a disoriented traveler must trek, it is vital to ensure that the direction of travel is clear. 

One lesson could focus on terrain association such as abnormally tall trees, rivers, large hills, mountains, and clearings. This strategy can aid one in determining the surroundings and help a person locate oneself on a map.

The next unit can focus on Survival. Lessons in this unit include shelter building and conquering hunger. 

Encounters with nature will feel easier and less stressful with knowledge of what to do in any given situation. Whether it be hunger pains or a thunderstorm, there is a task at hand that can be performed to ensure survival. 

Protection is a third possible unit. In colder climates, bears, wolves, and moose are the most common threats to stranded survivors. A myriad of obstacles may obstruct the path to safety and peace. Animals of any variety can pose danger, meaning that strategies to protect oneself from attack are incredible pieces of a curriculum.

A Wilderness Survival class is a resource that will be useful for every case scenario. Crashing deep into the woods on a drive, or a hike that takes a turn for the worst, are just a few examples of what could happen. Pass the class with flying colors and safety will be ensured when situations turn disastrous.

About the Contributor
Ashton Teal
Ashton Teal, Journalist
Ashton is a Junior who enjoys gaming (especially Overwatch 2), E-Sports, and creating his own books. If you see him, maybe ask if you can read them!   "If you find a job you love, you'll never work a day in your life." -Confucius