The student news site of Northwest High School in Jackson, Michigan

The Moxie Mountie

The Moxie Mountie

The Moxie Mountie

Hail breaks loose

Follow up to an Icy Commitment
Left to right
Dalton Keith, Joe Tobey-Cook, Holliss Rumler
Abby Gaffney
Left to right Dalton Keith, Joe Tobey-Cook, Holliss Rumler

The Michigan Law Enforcement Polar Plunge takes place every January to raise money for the Michigan Special Olympics. People who sign up to take the plunge can form teams to raise more money and have someone to plunge with. This is the route Journalism and Literature teacher Nick Gaffney took when looking to raise money and recruit more people to the Northwest Mounties plunge team. 

While 12 people signed up to plunge only 11 brave Northwest Mounties plunged into Clark Lake on January 27th. This group consisted of 3 Northwest High School teachers, 7 high school students, and one father.

Diving into the icy waters of Clark Lake is truly just an excuse for people to dress up in fun costumes and freeze. The true purpose of the plunge is as a fundraiser. People can donate to various teams to show their support. 

The plunge as a whole was a success raising over 54,000 dollars for the Michigan Special Olympics. Together the Mounties raised 2,485 dollars with Gaffney pulling in the bulk of the donations at 700 dollars. Junior Dalton Keith raised the most out of the Mountie students at 380 dollars. 

Raising money can seem daunting to people who have not done it before, but sophomore Addison Allen cracked the secret to it. 

Mountie group one after jumping the plunge.

“It truly is just a feat of networking. Talking to your friends and family leads to them talking to their friends and family. From there it spirals,” said Allen. 

Outside of the Northwest Mounties team, the Jackson Police Department raised the most out of any team with 7,601 dollars.     

Plungers are not always the only people in attendance. Many people come to watch their friends and family take the plunge or just to enjoy a nice meal at the Eagle’s Nest restaurant while enjoying the view of people in various costumes diving into the icy water. 

Sophomore Joe Tobey-Cook plunged with the Mountie team.  

“The water may have been cold, but because of all the joy in the air there was great warmth,” said Tobey-Cook.

About the Contributor
Raegan Foster
Raegan Foster, Feature Editor & Business Manager
Raegan is a senior who loves to read, loves plants, and hanging with her friends.   "Vi et animo translates to with heart and soul"  - Unknown