The student news site of Northwest High School in Jackson, Michigan

The Moxie Mountie

The Moxie Mountie

The Moxie Mountie

Students thrive with crochet business

Lilyann Lee

Three students launched their crochet business to make money one year ago. Something that these entrepreneurs all share is their rough upbringing. To combat this, they sold cookies on the corner of their street, made rainbow looms, and more. Senior, Autumn Wilkison found that crochet could be another way to earn money. Junior, Abigail Warner, Senior Jasmine Seals, and Wilkison started their business, Heart of The Yarn.

“We were always just motivated to make money since that wasn’t something we had,” said Warner.

Wilkison explained that she started this business because someone asked her to buy one of her crochet creations. This inspired them to take a new perspective on their hobby and start a business to create for others. They created a business Instagram and a Google Form hoping to get orders. Each month they have approximately six orders come in from buyers.

Frog crocheted at the beginning of the school year. Sold alongside spring accessories and more. Photo courteous of Autumn Wilkinson

Crochet sparked the interest of many adolescents, such as Warner. She summarized the basic details of their small business. They make custom orders which can take hours or days to complete depending on the size, the price can vary based on what you would like made.

“It became a business in January, after the Christmas concert of last year. January 2023,” said Seals.

Small businesses struggle to get on their feet, especially when getting recognized by their community. Wilkison explained they use Instagram to promote themselves to get their business ahead of the curve. 

“I enjoy crocheting but then it takes the right level of motivation because it takes so much time,” said Wilkison.

When it comes to hobbies, everyone has one they enjoy. These girls just happened to make theirs into a small business.

About the Contributor
Lilyann Lee
Lilyann Lee, Journalist