Sisters take down

Freshman Sydney Boulter and junior Faith Boutler, sisters, stretch with the wrestling team before practice.

Jaynie Sorenson

Kelsey Hogan, Web Journalist

Wrestling is a combat sport, similar to Jiu Jitsu and for the Boulter sisters, Faith and Sydney, joining the wrestling team is an opportunity to improve their Jiu Jitsu training. For being considered an all male sport, wrestling has grown to contain more female contributors.

“I got into wrestling because it helps me with my Jiu Jitsu and I wanted to try something new and wrestling looked fun,” said junior Faith Boulter.

Jiu Jitsu is a Japanese method of defending without weapons using strength and body weight to render the opponent to the ground.

The two sports are alike in some ways, such as the balance and take downs of both. Wrestling, however, will help people learn new ways to get people to their backs and to pin the other opponent on the floor.

With females wrestling, an individual might believe that the females don’t get treated the same as males. However, it may be more intense for female wrestlers than in other sports because of the intense strength required to be competitive.

“Most of the guys I wrestle with during practice have been more defensive than any other person I’ve grappled with in Jiu Jitsu,” said Boulter.

Women have more of a voice in today’s society, versus 50 plus years ago when women were often looked down on. Wrestling is one of the sports that men didn’t prefer women to participate in until recent years.

“Women are gradually becoming more popular because most schools are allowing women wrestlers to join and prove that they can wrestle,” said Boulter.

Many women have pushed themselves to prove to everyone that they are strong enough to do that sport and exceed in it.