Students live by “Res Non Verba”

JROTC impacts the lives of those who enlist

Sydney Boulter, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Approximately 20 students between their senior and junior year participate in a program called Career Center at Jackson College. This program provides career and technical education throughout Jackson County.

One of the classes in this program is the Junior Reserve Officer Training Course (JROTC) which is sponsored by all five branches of the United States Armed Forces.

JROTC teaches these cadets many useful life skills such as respect, honor, hard work and determination.

A saying they use that goes along with the life skills they learn is “Res Non Verba” which means “Deeds not words.”

Senior Ashley Sundermeyer joined the JROTC because she wanted to get a feel for what it would be like in the military by being in the program. She also appreciated how the uniforms made the students look more professional and mature.

Sundermeyer wants to join the Army to become a field medic to be able to protect her country like generations of people have before us.

“After watching the movie Pearl Harbor, it caught my attention that people take this freedom for granted and that blood spilled to keep Americans and future generations safe,” said Sundermeyer.

The group Sundermeyer is in right now is the Raiders. The Raider teams is an elite team training to conduct special amphibious light infantry warfare, particularly in landing in rubber boots and operating behind the lines.

Sundermyer joined the Raiders because she wants to help get ready for basic training and the bonds that are made on the team can never be replaced. To Sundermeyer it is a good way to get fitness and learn to work as a team.

The other groups that JROTC cadets can join are Cavalry and Rifle Team. Calvary is a group of cadets who train to fight on horseback. And the Rifle team is a team of cadets training for marksmanship.

The drill team is another group as well. It is a marching unit that performs routines based on military drill. Military drill teams perform either armed or unarmed.

Senior Todd Moody joined JROTC because he wanted an active job. Before he chooses a job, moody wants to join the military until he figures out his career path.

“The branch I would like to join would be the Coast Guard because my grandpa was a part of it as well,” said Moody.” The Coast Guard would also fill my love of physical challenges right along with it.”

Moody, like Sundermeyer, also joined the Raiders. He wanted to be on the Raiders because of the activities and running they do. The group is all about testing your limits and strengthening yourself.

Junior Diana Mason joined JROTC because she wanted to get a head start for the military. and she wants to do it for herself as well. As she continues on in JROTC she waits for the day she can join the military.

“At the moment I do not know what branch I want to join.” said Mason.” I want to join the army because I want to help protect my family and friends, and all my loved ones as well.”

Mason is interested in the military because before she was born her mother and her father were both in the military, Mason also has a special connection with the military because her and her twin brother, junior Loren Mason, were born on a military base while their parents were deployed.

JROTC has benefited many of the cadets by giving them an in look on the military. It also has created many special connections for some cadets that have joined JROTC over the years.

(For more information these websites give more information about JROTC-http://www.usarmyjrotc.com/)