The Moxie Mountie

Galaxy not so far away needs new hope

Griffin Foster, Journalist

The future of the beloved Star Wars series may be in jeopardy after the passing of the much praised and appreciated actress Carrie Fisher, who portrayed Princess Leia Organa in the original movies.

After appearing in the newest movie in the Star Wars franchise The

Force Awakens, Disney may have to figure out how to successfully take Fisher’s character out of the series or how they will be able to keep her in the series without recasting.

Although Fisher did finish filming the newest film, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, which is set to debut sometime in Dec. of 2017, Disney and Lucasfilm may want to alter the story to take Fisher out of the Star Wars movies to come.

Without her, Disney could shift the focus away from Leia and focus onto one of the other characters.

What could be done by Disney is what is called Computer Generated Imagery (CGI). This procedure was made famous during the filmings of the Fast and Furious movies after the passing of Paul Walker. CGI makes something like people or places seem like they are actually there when they really are not.

The Star Wars teams could take old unused footage of Fisher in previous movies and contribute them to the new movies. This was seen in the Hunger Games final two movies after the passing of actor Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Fisher was slated to have a key role in the Star Wars Episode IX movie that is set to come out in 2018. But now director Colin Trevorrow and his team will have to find a way to either keep Fisher in the movie or take her completely out of the rest of the series. If Fisher’s character was to be taken completely out of the saga there would have to be some sort of explanation as to why she is gone. That being said Disney cannot do this by only using words, there would have to be some sort of scene that depicts or shows, how and why Princess Leia is no longer in the series.

Regardless of what Lucasfilms and Disney decide to do with the Princess Leia, either using CGI to recreate Leia just like they did in the in 2016 movie Rogue One or if she is recasted. Carrie Fisher will be deeply missed by fans of all different ages.

About the Contributors
Griffin Foster, Journalist
Griffin is a junior. He plays hockey and goes swimming in his free time. “Everyday is a good day to get better.” Unknown
Abigail (Oli) Grenke, Journalist
Oli is a junior this year. She likes playing video games and her violin. Oli also enjoys singing, drawing, and gardening. “What we should really fear is not failure but the heart that is no longer brave enough to take risks and embrace challenges.” Kwon (G-Dragon) Ji-yong
Ashley Potosky, Journalist
Ashley is a senior. She is the treasurer of Drama Club. Ashley loves musicals, plays, choir, reading, writing, and all things Disney. “If today is the worst day of your life, then you know tomorrow will be better.” Unknown