Jackson United hockey scores friendships

Western+student+Blake+Blodgett+defends+senior+Nic+Weller+as+he+steals+back+the+puck+from+Lumen+Christi.+

Taylor Thrush

Western student Blake Blodgett defends senior Nic Weller as he steals back the puck from Lumen Christi.

Griffin Foster, Journalist

For the Jackson United hockey team the 2016 – 2017 season has been a team effort. After last year’s standout performance from alumnus Alex Gwinn, who led the team with 41 goals, the united team was hoping for a standout to lead the team.

Seniors Brad Campbell and Seth Maloney have been splitting time in goal.

“This year I feel we are a close, tight knit group,” said Maloney.

Western senior Charlie Bonser leads the team in goals while Springport senior Karson Collier leads the team in assists.

The team’s defense has been giving up no more than a max of four goals in their games. The team is a defensive team first. This is a huge step for the team who is taught to play a defense first type of game by Coach Andy Sinkovitz.

“The defense has really been helping the goalies this year. I don’t feel like I’m all alone on the ice,” said Maloney. “It has really been a team effort this year.”

The team does not have a standout player this year. All the players have to contribute to make sure that the team accomplishes all its goals and so they can continue to win.

“We do stuff together like team dinners and we hang out with each other outside of school and the rink,” said senior Jared Fowle.

Being so close has helped the team treat each other as equals on the ice as well as off. The team puts all differences aside like school rivalries and they play together as a team should.

“We win and lose as a team, not just one line or one player,” said Bonser. “It’s definitely helped the attitude of the team.”

Being from four separate schools would normally have a negative factor for a team like Jackson United. Since they were younger, most of the players on the team has played together on other teams so they know how to get along with each other and how their teammates act on the ice.

“This is the best team I’ve ever been a part of,” said Maloney. “I wouldn’t want to be part of any other team.”

After a 5-2 win against rival Lumen Christi, the united team looks to use the win as boost to finish off the season on a high note.