New dress code policy prepares students for future jobs

Taylor Thrush, Journalist

The dress code is constantly changing. However, this year the administration attempted to almost take it away completely, and ended in some students taking advantage of it.

At the start of third term the dress code was changed to be more strict, since students were wearing short dresses, hats, and strapless tops. This was seen by staff to be distracting and inappropriate to be wearing at school.

The new rules ban off the shoulder and backless tops, jeans with big holes above mid thigh, hats or hoods, and dresses, shorts, or skirts that are higher than mid thigh. Shirts with inappropriate content such as alcohol, tobacco, or curse words on them are also banned.

The argument about freedom of expression always comes up among the student body, but they fail to realize that the staff is trying to make this a professional but welcoming environment.

“I think the dress code is a good thing because it helps students learn to follow rules and be more modest,” said Math teacher Mrs. Gwen Johantgen. “It reflects how students will have to dress when they go into the workforce.”

This dress code reflects what students need to wear in order to look more modest and professional. The administration created this more lenient dress code to keep the school looking more appropriate without being super strict and making students upset.

“I think the younger generations lack some common sense when it comes to being modest,” said Johantgen. “Students need to know what is beach attire and what is school and work appropriate.”

This new dress code is a step in the right direction. It gives students enough room to express themselves without putting them in a box.