The student news site of Northwest High School in Jackson, Michigan

The Moxie Mountie

The Moxie Mountie

The Moxie Mountie

Establishing confidence in others

In the year of 2018, we are seeing a prominent problem in society: body standards. These have always been around, but with the year just beginning, it is a bigger issue than ever.

Body standards are an idea that society expects people to look like. Most standards include being thin with curves for women, and being muscular and tall for men, but they vary by culture.

When people do not look this way, some are body shamed. This is done by making critical and/or mocking statements about their body shape and size or even silently judging them.

In a recent survey, 73 percent of students say they have been put down because of their appearances.

There are many effects of body shaming, and they can leave mental and physical impacts. Many think that pointing out or making fun of someone’s body will inspire the person to lose weight or exercise, but studies find they do the opposite.

According to the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing (a resource of information on the health, social, wellbeing and economic circumstances.), fat shaming sparks the intake of more calories because of comfort eating or stress eating in the person being shamed.

In some cases, body shaming can lead to eating disorders such as anorexia, bulimia, or binge eating. 65 percent of people with eating disorders say bullying contributed to their condition, as stated by a survey by National Eating Disorder Association (NEDA).

Everyone has different bodies and dissimilar features and society should not discriminate because of that. No one is exactly alike and a person’s weight, shape, or other features do not determine their personality.

Body shaming does not benefit anyone and instead of putting others down and teaching people to look a certain way, should teach others to be comfortable in their own skin.

This problem in society has gone too far and we should start encouraging people to feel good about themselves and not shameful. When this is done, more people will think positively about themselves and be confident in who they are.