Northwest Cheer Team welcomes new coach

Hannah Smith, Editor-in-Chief

The varsity cheer team at Northwest High School has a new head coach for the 2019-2020 season, Sandy Walsh. Last year, Walsh was an assistant coach for the team alongside Melissa Coito, the previous head varsity coach. This is Walsh’s second year coaching at Northwest, but she has coached on and off for five years total. 

Walsh was a cheerleader herself for four years at Siena Heights University. She wanted to become a coach so she could carry on her passion for the sport to younger athletes. 

“Being a coach to me is more rewarding than being the actual athlete,” said Walsh. 

Even though Walsh has been coaching at Northwest for two years, she is still eager to learn more about how Northwest runs their athletic program. 

Walsh really enjoys this years team and has only good words to say about them. 

“Although this year’s varsity team is little, they are fierce. The girls work together so well,” said Walsh. 

When competitive season starts Walsh wants to bring up a few girls from the JV cheer team. She also hopes that they will work well with the girls from varsity. 

Walsh was promoted to head varsity coach because the head coach from last year had a baby, which led her to decide to step down. When competitive season starts, Melissa will return, and the two will cocoach together. 

“She’s super nice, fun, and willing to help,” said varsity cheerleader Mackenzie Ruba. 

The varsity cheer team really enjoys having Walsh as their head coach. They feel she is good for the team. 

“She’s fun, but she also pushes us hard,” said varsity cheerleader Courtney Miller.

Most agree that Walsh is a good asset to the varsity team and will push the team to do great things in the future. She is a fun coach for the cheerleaders, but still knows when it is time to work.