Students struggle with school attendance

Student Amya Case works alone as fellow students are absent

Amanda Gallaway, Web Journalist

All across the country, teachers and school boards are constantly struggling with students over poor attendance. This is probably one of the largest concerns in high schools today. 

When coming in for the day, there are many issues that factor into what time a student does or does not arrive to school. In the winter months it is advised to leave home earlier on harsh days to allow more time because snow and sleet often impact a student drivers travel time.

“It’s usually bad roads or ‘I didn’t want to come,’” said Ms. Marnie Hade

In the warmer months, some students may cruise in late because they want to hold onto their summer so desperately. Weather can also hit students in the spring months, bringing harsh storms and flooded roads.

Throughout history the structure of punishment for late/tardy students has changed. 

“When I was in school, we definitely did not have the flexibility that students do now. When you were tardy, you either had detention for three hours or took the paddle,” said Ms. Hade

In today’s school system, students are definitely not held in what the past generations may feel is “extreme.”Around 30 years ago, students were terrified to miss school. Today it’s less of a concern.  Fewer students genuinely want to keep good attendance.

“If I miss more than a few days in a week, or even a trimester, I get scared of getting behind and not being able to catch up,” said Senior Hannah Shaw.

According to an article by  Jennifer Erb-Downward and Payton Watt, “1-in-6 children enrolled in the state’s public and charter schools were chronically absent in the 2016-17 school year, missing 10% or more of school days,”   said Watt.

Missing even a couple days can heavily affect a students performance, and can also reflect poorly when colleges look at transcripts to determine admittance.