Jackson Area Career and Access Center sends Sydney Brown to guide students’ future plans

Sydney+Brown+helping+Alex+Danilowsky+fill+out+college+applications.+

Photo by Maci Swartz

Sydney Brown helping Alex Danilowsky fill out college applications.

Anthony Cole, Sports Editor

Many students at Northwest are unaware of the resources that are readily available to them when it comes to plans after high school.

One of these resources includes assistance from Sydney Brown of the Jackson Area Career and Access Center. She specializes in helping students take the necessary steps toward entering college and the workforce. In addition, she is a great person to talk to about scholarship opportunities. She is available at the school for students to talk to on Tuesdays and Fridays.

“A typical day looks like, I call students down …and then explain what I’m there for,” said Brown. “Then I try to get them to tell me there post-secondary plans which is anything they choose to do after high school.”

More geared toward seniors and juniors, Brown can assist students with a variety of things. This includes filling out important documents such as the FAFSA. She can also aid students in finding ways to pay for college, whether that is finding grants they qualify for or scholarship opportunities.

“I work on transcripts with the students,” said Brown. “I start scholarships with them, as well as starting and completing the FAFSA forms.”

Although she focuses on preparing students for college, Brown also helps with career prep. What that could potentially looks like is setting up externship and internships with businesses for kids. Even while in school, job shadows are an option as well.

“We work on interview skills, and even soft skills together,” said Brown. “We actually go through the job search together.”

It is important for students to be aware of the professional help and tools available to them as they enter the next chapter of their lives. The Jackson Area Career and Access Center is located in the Jackson Crossing where people much like Brown are located, and where students can get the assistance they seek.