Homecoming dress code altered from formal to semi-formal, many approve

Holliss Rumler, Web, Sports, & Poetry Editor

Homecoming is something many high school students look forward to year after year, but each student and staff member perceives what it should look like. 

Northwest High Schools’ homecoming was rescheduled due to a threat made at the game prior to the dance. Rumors spread quickly, and the events planned for the rest of the night were quickly put on hold. 

Many people are needed to create such a large affair, such as administrators, chaperones, and student participation. Homecoming preparation is heavily reliant on Assistant Principal Phil Sczykutowicz, Administrator Emily Stepke, and sophomore Ana Aldrich.

After rescheduling the dance, there were many questions about what should stay the same and change. Due to many requests, administrators decided to change the dance’s dress code, which then caused it to be semi-formal as opposed to formal.

This change went over well with the student body, and many people participated. 

“It was nice because it felt homey, but it also felt like a dance,” said Aldrich.

This change was not only a hit with the students but staff members also enjoyed it. 

“I think it’s great for kids to have the opportunity to dress the way they want to dress so they can express themselves,” said Stepke.

Going to a public school can mean many of the students come from different economic backgrounds and home situations. If students are forced to dress to a certain level, it could cause many inconveniences for multiple students.

“We have a social-economic status that some kids don’t necessarily relate to, and cannot afford to purchase or experience things at the level other kids do and so I think that by offering that step-down in the dress code allows more kids to feel more comfortable and attend something they may not have attended originally,” said Sczykutowicz.

A large amount of positive feedback was spread throughout the building and pleased administrators.  

“I think the formal part is nice because it gets kids to do something that they wouldn’t normally be able to do and to experience and make memories on a different level,” said Sczykutowicz. “I think as far as equity and equality, doing the semi-formal was a good move because it gave everybody that opportunity.”

With approval from students and the comfort provided with the label “semi-formal,” it is likely this change will continue in the future.