Anxiety can be defeated

Anxiety can be defeated

Katlin Cahil, Journalist

As the school year progresses, the anxiety students have grows with it.  It is defined as stress that can come from any event or thought that makes you feel frustrated, angry, or nervous. It is the most common mental illness in the United States affecting 40 million Americans.

“When I think of anxiety, I think of someone who is panicking under a lot of pressure,” said senior Mikki Pahl, “That person has multiple things going on in their life both inside and out of school that they can’t mentally cope with it all at once.”

This feeling of uneasiness affects students of all ages.  It is brought on by homework, extra-curricular activities, personal life, and jobs.

“We are given so much homework and are expected to do a lot outside of school. It puts stress on the students.” said Pahl.

There are multiple coping mechanisms that help you handle anxiety.  Activities such as drawing, writing, and talking to a friend are just as few examples.

“I go to counseling and I talk to my friends about it,” said Pahl. “I am not ashamed.”

From the counseling office to the classrooms, teachers know what it’s like to feel this way.

“Most teachers understand that sometimes you are just having one of those days. All you have to do is talk to them about it.” said freshman Camron Florek.

Mental health is just as important as physical health.  It dictates how we perceive life in general and how we are able to handle it.  Students feel as if they are the only one who feels this way.  That is not true.

“You are not alone.” said English teacher Corey Slater, “Talk to someone and find the things that help you positively cope with whatever you are going through.”

Regardless of what activities go on in a student’s daily life, it is possible to overcome the anxiety those activities may bring.