• Students who have ordered a 2015-2016 yearbook should pick them up from Miss Hade in Room 106.

• Opportunity to travel to Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, and Paris in June of 2017, to sign up see Mrs. Hoffbauer or Miss Dryer.

• Seniors: If you want to earn a red cord for graduation you must donate blood or volunteer at three blood drives this year.

The student news site of Northwest High School in Jackson, Michigan

Adopt-a-Family reaches out to families in need

Audri Chenoweth

Senior Rachael Kaiser takes an ornament off of the giving tree for Adopt-a-Family.

Morgan Huver, Asst. Editor-in-Chief

With Christmas coming soon, the community is coming together to help with the Adopt-A-Family project. The project was created to help families district wide that are not as fortunate.

Last year, the community adopted 41 families which represented 110 children from all grade levels.

After taking over the program, Miss Marnie Hade has been able to get the program where it is today.

“I love the fact  that Northwest is striving to better impact the community,” said senior Jewell Perkey.

There are 10 Adopt-A-Family Christmas trees located all over the community. Locations include one in each of the five education buildings; Klavons, Hankered Hills, First Church of the Nazarene, The Lost Shoe, and the New Horizons Church.

“Every year is different,” said Hade. “It grows ever year; [The program] has never gotten smaller.”

The trees are covered in paper ornaments that have certain items on them that one could get and donate to contribute. These items include toiletries, clothes, food, and books.

“This community surprises me in really awesome ways every year,” said Hade.

The items that the families receive are, a pre-cooked holiday meal, two months worth of food, toys, clothes.

Many volunteer opportunities come with Adopt-A-Family, such as taking responsibility of trees, hanging and writing ornaments, and wrapping presents.

Students can sign up in Room 106 for service hours.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Adopt-a-Family reaches out to families in need”

1. Arianna Trine on November 16th, 2016 12:40 pm

This is a great topic and even better coverage!!

2. Phia on November 16th, 2016 12:40 pm

I like that you got many quotes and I really feel like you did good research. You explained the concept very easily and it makes me want to donate something for Adopt-A-Family! Also a very good picture.