Students pressured into attending prom

Ashley Potosky, Journalist

Prom is the night most teenagers dream of or that is what many assume. To many teenagers prom has lost it’s charm.

It is becoming just another dance that costs more than the experience is worth. To many, prom is an obligation. If students do not go their junior year, then they feel like they have to go their senior year to fulfill the ‘high school experience.’

“I feel like I have to go,” said senior Sydney Jones. “It’s senior year and I know I’ll regret it if I don’t.”

Months before the whole affair even starts is when the chaos begins. As early as January girls start looking for the fairy tale dress, but often sacrifice the dream dress for one they can afford.

Prom is arguably one of the most expensive events a high school student will participate in. The dress or tuxedo rental can cost about $100 if students are looking for sales and discounts.

It is not just the dress or the tux, students also have to look for shoes, a tie, and considering getting their hair and nails done.

When going with a date, one must purchase a corsage or boutonniere for their date in advance.  Ladies have it more difficult than guys in this case.

All guys have to do is put the flowers on as if it were a bracelet. Girls may need to practice putting the pins through the stem of flowers upon the guy’s jacket so that it will stay and not be crooked.

This is all the costs before even purchasing the tickets that are about $30 per person. Prom costs more to just attend than the experience will ever pay back.

About a week before, students will look through town to look for the perfect spots to take prom pictures with the precise angle and lighting. When the big day finally arrives, first time prom goers soon realize everyone else from school is in the same spots taking pictures, and a swarm of people surround the spot until it is their turn. Then, when they finally get their chance to take pictures, the sun is blinding their eyes.

Many students plan to go to a formal dinner, but discover that only one place in town takes reservations and they are filling up fast. It is either go to the same spot nearly everyone else is or fight for tables at other restaurants.

Once teenagers finally get to the dance, the majority of people just sit along the sidelines to avoid dancing in shoes that kill their feet.

The costs brings up the question why students pay all this money to go to dance to sit off to the side.

“I want to go because I heard it is fun, I like to get dressed up, and everybody does it,” said junior Courtney Johnson.

The whole event of prom has become an obligation that has been hyped up so much that no one wants to miss out. If they do, many feel as if they are missing out on something important.