Q & A With Stafford Newsome, the new varsity football coach

Meris Lacinski, Feature Editor

Stafford Newsome has taught social studies in the district for 11 years and was recently hired as the next head Varsity football coach. He brings years of coaching experience. At Northwest, he has coached JV football (assisted Varsity) and JV basketball. He has also coached Varsity football at Napoleon High School. He believes his experience will help contribute to his goals for the Northwest program.

Aside from teaching, he is also a family man. His wife, Lisa, and their five children are his pride and joy, and he plans to teach the importance of family to his football program. In addition, his family lives in the district, and his children attend Northwest schools. 

Recently,  Stafford responded to a few questions about the future of his new program.

Here is what he had to say. 

Q: Who are your mentors when it comes to football and coaching? 

A: “My dad and brother are my mentors in the game of football. Mr. Hiram and Mr. Slater are my most impactful coaching mentors.”

Q: What is the vision of your team culture?

A: “To build a family atmosphere.”

Q: What are some of your goals for this term?

A: “I want the guys [players] to have fun. I want them to respect the game and their peers. I want us to all earn the respect of our I-8 opponents.” 

Q: What do you think your strengths will be both as a coach and as a team? 

A: “As a coach, leading by example is a strength. I preach to be committed and hold family values, but I also try to demonstrate this to the players.”

“As a team, we are going to have a brotherhood. When guys put on their jerseys, it is going to mean something. Less than 10 percent of our student population plays football so itś a big deal.” 

Q: What about the weaknesses? 

A: “Shedding the past culture. The records from the past do not reflect on this team. We know our history, but we get to write our own also.”

Q: Some of the Pet Peeve’s you have while coaching? 

A: “Not being committed! This goes for coaches and athletes. For example, I cannot stand when coaches do have their drills prepared before practice.”

Q: What are some important expectations you will have for your players?

A:To be committed. Most of us only get four years to play football. I want them to be committed to being the best they can be and committed to themselves and their teammates.  If young men learn this approach while young, they have a better chance of being committed husbands and fathers.”