The student news site of Northwest High School in Jackson, Michigan

The Moxie Mountie

The Moxie Mountie

The Moxie Mountie

Duncan Moffitt commits to Alma College

Moffitt after committing to Alma sporting their jersey (Mike Fitzpatrick)

The time of year is upon us when Northwest Seniors start making decisions that can affect the course of the rest of their lives. Committing to a college is a decision that should not be taken lightly. 

Every variable should be taken into account. Of course, some variables mean more to some than others. 

Senior Duncan Moffitt has committed to Alma College to play Basketball and pursue a degree in Business Management. Moffitt attended Western Elementary School from kindergarten to fourth grade before moving his educational career to Northwest for a few years. Then, he moved to Parkside before ultimately deciding Northwest was the best fit for him to finish out his high school career. 

“I have been playing basketball since I was four years old. My dad was the Girls’ Basketball Coach at Western High School,” said Moffitt.

Starting to play this sport at such a young age allowed Moffitt to grow exponentially throughout his years. This skill growth has obviously worked out for him because he is now committed to the 7th highest-ranked school for basketball in the state. 

“Being around basketball since I was little really ignited my love for it. Having my dad raise me with a basketball in my hand and just being around his teams growing up made it super fun for me, and I have wanted to pursue it ever since,” said Moffitt.

Originally Moffitt was supposed to graduate with the class of 2023 before he reclassed into the class of 2024. This is not unheard of in high school sports, and the decision can be made for a variety of reasons. 

“The idea behind me reclassing was that because I was going to move schools with my dad when he got a new coaching job.” Said Moffitt.  “I would be able to have four years at another high school, but we ended up staying at Northwest.”

There is a mandate that high school students need to sit out a full calendar year if they wish to participate in a sport in which they played in ninth grade or above. This mandate explains why Moffitt would want to reclass so he could play basketball for all four years in high school.

Moffitt on Northwest’s home basketball court (JTV)

“Alma’s coaches were really good to me, and they texted me all the time. They even invited me out to a game. There were some other schools that I was thinking about going to, but they did not reach out as much,” said Moffitt.

Moffitt committed to Alma College at the beginning of October.  He is very excited about attending Alma, and we wish him the best.