The student news site of Northwest High School in Jackson, Michigan

The Moxie Mountie

The Moxie Mountie

The Moxie Mountie

An icy commitment

Students and staff participate in Clark Lake’s Polar Plunge

The annual Michigan Law Enforcement Polar Plunge takes place every January. The plunge is used to raise money for the Michigan Special Olympics. 

This year the plunge is set to take place on January 27th. The Northwest Moxie Mountie advisor Nick Gaffney has been an avid participant in the plunge for about 3 years, but this year he gained the participation of a few colleagues and students. 

The most important part of the polar plunge is not diving into the icy depths, but raising the money to donate to the Michigan Special Olympics.

American and British literature teacher Andrew House is among one of the staff that Gaffney recruited to plunge with him. 

“Getting people to donate is just a matter of networking. Talking to the people you know and explaining to them why what you are doing is enticing,” said House. 

Not many people had heard about the polar plunge with enough vigor to join in until this year.

Left to right
Holliss Rumler, Joe Tobey-Cook, Dalton Keith

“Gaffney came to me because he knew that doing something like jumping into a frozen lake would not be out of sorts for me on a regular day, throw in a good cause and I am all in,” said House.  “Also, while I was a substitute in the school I noticed a really big involvement in our special education. Now being a teacher here, it is always something I have wanted to support.”   

Sophomore Addison Arnold has agreed to take the plunge along with some of her peers.

“Growing up in Canada there have been more than a few times that I have taken a dip in icy waters, but knowing what you are in for creates anticipation with an underlying level of fear,” said Arnold. 

While taking the plunge is an accomplishment in itself the real victory comes from the money you can raise and donate towards a good cause. The organizers of the plunge set up various prizes for plungers who raise $100 or more. The prizes are truly just incentives to get plungers to raise as much money as possible.