Annual Trunk n’ Treat provides safe environment for children

Adam Staudinger, Assistant Web Editor-in-Chief

Trunk n’ Treat is an annual event where children walk car to car receiving candy. It is hosted at the elementary school campus and brings in many trunk or treaters from all over the community.

This year the Halloween themed function is on Saturday, Oct. 29, from 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m.

The event provides a safe and fun activity for kids to dress up in their Halloween costumes and obtain candy.

Trunk n’ Treat is aimed toward younger children because it is safer for them to do it in a controlled environment. The children are supervised as they walk from trunk to trunk. Parents do not have to worry about the safety of the candy because they know who and where it came from. Trunk n’ Treat is hosted during the day, so parents and other adults have an easier time watching their children.

“It’s for children up to fifth grade. It’s a free and safe event for them to gather candy,” said Mrs. Sabrina Jenkins, building secretary of the alternative education campus.

Jenkins has helped organize the event since the beginning, 13 years ago.

“It’s a lot of fun, whether you host a trunk or walk through as a child,” said Jenkins.

Children can see their teachers and other staff members dressed up for the event. History teacher Mrs. Abby Tanner hosts the student government trunk every year for the event. This year their theme is Disney movie characters.

Many clubs and groups in the community host a trunk for the event such as sports teams and local businesses.

“The kids are so cute and they’re really grateful. It is a good environment for them because they are familiar with the elementary campus” said Tanner.

Hundreds of children partake in the occasion. Trunk n’ Treat is open to anyone who wishes to join in on the fun.